Located in Meridian, Mississippi and was founded in 1937. MCC was orignally named Meridian Junior College but changed its name in 1987. MCC began as the vision of Dr. H.M. Ivy, superintendent of the Meridian Separate School District in the 1930's. The schools enrollment is almost 4,000 students and offers students a wide variety of activities in which to participate. There are more than 20 student organizations on campus representing a wide range of academic and vocational interest.
- Client Challenge:
- Lighting Solution:
Retro-Tech performed a campus wide lighting upgrade. The majority of the project consisted of lamp and ballast retrofits with reflector kits. Two buildings, however, required new fixture replacements based on the age and condition of the existing fixtures. The scope of work encompassed de-lamping existing 3 and 4 lamp fixtures to a 2 lamp T8 fixture with a specular reflector. All new fixtures were installed with specular reflectors to enhance the output and control and to minimize the number of lamps necessary to meet or exceed IES Standards. As for the parking lot lighting, several existing 400 watt High Pressure Sodium fixtures and poles were removed and replaced with twin 1000 watt metal halide fixtures and steel poles. Time clocks and photoelectric controls were installed to enhance energy efficiency. Some 52 existing 400 watt metal halide parking lot standards and building flood lights were retrofit to 320 watt pulse start fixtures to reduce energy costs and improve light levels.
- The Results:
There were many obstacles that needed to be addressed before the installation could begin in such a high security facility. All the installers, tools and materials had to go through a rigorous screening process before the start of work each day. Despite the obstacles, we were able to install a multimillion dollar lighting project in 13 weeks. The project reduced the energy costs by $275,000 annually, and reduced the peak demand by nearly 900 KW.